Long necklaces are great, adding flair and fluid movement to any figure. But how should you wear a long necklace to show it in its best light? How can you really make this accessory work its magic? Long necklaces always look very chic, accessorising any outfit and adding a certain touch of femininity that never goes out of fashion. Coco Chanel was already sporting this look back in the 1930s, and it’s still celebrated in fashion shows everywhere today. So which type of long necklace should you opt for, and what clothes will it work best with?
Whether you opt for an ethnic style or a simpler look, retro shapes or a graphic-design piece; the long necklace is a statement piece in its own right. For truly irrefutable style, simply pair this accessory with basics: a turtleneck sweater or t-shirt, trousers and pumps and you’re good to go! Remember to adapt the length of the necklace to suit your figure, though. It should sit somewhere between your chest and your stomach button: any longer and it will just get in the way. If it is too long, simply tie a knot in the necklace, or pass it through a stylish buckle.
So how should you be wearing a long necklace?
- Rule N°1: match a long necklace with basics. Go for a blouse, a plain vest-top, a dress or tunic, or an understated t-shirt or jumper. Work a simplified look to really showcase the necklace’s design. It’s time to de-clutter your style to the max!
- Rule N°2: choose the right neckline or collar. Opt for boat necks, round necks or V-necks, especially if this necklace is the only item of jewellery you’re wearing.
- Rule N°3: be daring with contrasts. Really play on the opposition between the colours of your top and your necklace: pair a monochrome outfit with a long necklace. And why not go for something original and a bit dramatic while you’re at it?
- Rule N°4: avoid wearing your long necklace with a t-shirt that is too short, with a shirt collar or with a top that has an overbearing row of buttons.
- Rule N°5: avoid wearing earrings with your long necklace. Making a necklace work with earrings can be a tricky business, so if in doubt, earrings are best avoided!
Which long necklace should you be wearing?
There are so many long necklace styles to choose from, but of course that goes without saying! There are long chains of pearls, pendant necklaces, and ethnic, graphic-design or minimalist pieces. But we’re now also seeing a whole range of long necklaces with a modern twist and reworked style. So don’t hold back: with a range of shapes, materials and colours, these necklaces are adaptable and will suit any outfit, day and night.
This essential, timeless spirit can also be found in the long necklaces at Buttons Paradise. The Original Anchor Button necklace has a soft, organic feel about it, thanks to its resin buttons and warm, natural colours. Our Wooden Doggy Original Button necklace has more of a reworked, ethnic style about it. Fashioned out of small, vintage, wooden bone-shaped buttons from the fifties, there is a pure and essential quality to this necklace. Then there is our Original Anchor Button necklace, which is truly a timeless piece. It is the star piece in our collection, the large horn-shaped buttons lending this necklace an ethno-urban style that will work perfectly with a great many outfits.